Are you having Money Worries?

We understand that things don’t always go to plan. Whether you’ve been financially impacted by the pandemic, or any other unforeseen circumstances, help is at hand.

If you’re in financial difficulty it can impact both your mental and physical health and wellbeing. Taking a proactive approach to managing your money worries is always the best way forward. If you are facing any of the following situations, it might be time to think about getting some help. 

  • You're worried about money and paying back what you owe - your debts feel like a huge burden
  • You're being contacted about unpaid bills and missed payments
  • You're dealing with difficult circumstances which are making it harder for you to manage your money
  • You're regularly spending more than you earn
  • You're struggling to pay your mortgage, rent, utility bills, or minimum payments on your credit cards
  • You can't manage your day to day spending without relying on your credit card or overdraft
  • Your credit cards are at the maximum credit limit

Independent advice services are available to help you find the best way to manage your finances and support you in getting back on track. Take a look at some of these organisations and what they can do to help you.

Find out more

We’ve helped many of our customers in financial difficulty and we can help you too…

I had to give up work due to my health, Shawbrook were fantastic and did not make me feel uncomfortable about my loan. They gave me time to pay it back with no pressure at a rate I could afford. Everyone I spoke to were polite and very patient. Thank you Shawbrook.

What help can Shawbrook provide?

If you’re worried about making payments, there are a number of tools and organisations that can help you. The most important thing you can do is let us know as soon as you realise you may struggle to make your payment, so we can help you get to the best or most appropriate outcome.

If you’re worried about making payments, there are a number of tools and organisations that can help you. The most important thing you can do is let us know as soon as you realise you may struggle to make your payment, so we can help you get to the best or most appropriate outcome.

Please contact us and we can discuss the situation with you.

Please contact us immediately, we can discuss your situation and help you to get back on track.

If you previously struggled to meet your monthly contractual payments and have fallen behind on your repayments, we could help you set up a plan to get you back up-to-date with your payments. Here’s an example of how this could work:


John has a loan with Shawbrook and has a monthly repayment of £240. One month he missed a repayment which meant he was now £240 in arrears. He contacted us and told us that he wanted to pay his arrears but he could not pay the total amount immediately. We discussed his options and agreed a three-month repayment plan, which looked like this:


 Monthly repayment:  £240
 Amount in arrears:   £240
 Arrears Repayment Period Agreed:   3 months
 Additional monthly repayment (over three months):  £80
 New monthly repayment (over three months):   £320


After 3 months, John had paid off his arrears & continued to pay his original monthly repayment of £240 until his loan was paid off.


We have a range of tools to help you and different repayment plans that could be more suitable to your situation. Please contact us and we can talk you through your options.

Who should I contact if I need help?

Whether you’ve lost your job, had to accept a salary reduction, or are going through a period where you have more expenses to pay than usual, it’s important to keep a clear head. Think sensibly and seek help.

There are a range of options available to you if you need financial support, including independent organisations. The main thing to remember is to contact providers or advice services as soon as possible, so they can help support you and your financial situation appropriately.

Government support services

If your income has been affected, the Money Advice Service can help advise you about support you may be entitled to. If you’re struggling, you should apply for help as soon as you can. Here are some of the main ways the government could help:

  • Universal Credit
    If you’ve lost your job or are on a low income, you can apply for Universal Credit. You should get independent advice before you start any claim.

  • New Style Job Seeker’s Allowance
    If you’ve lost your job or you work less than 16 hours a week, you might be able to claim New Style Job Seeker’s Allowance.

  • Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)
    If you’re too ill to work, you can get SSP, paid by your employer for up to 28 weeks. You can also claim SSP if you’re self-isolating because of coronavirus or living in the same household as others who are self-isolating and you've been advised to quarantine as a household.

Existing insurance providers

Another thing to do is to check your insurance policies. If you have a mortgage or any loans, you may have also taken out separate cover to help with the payments in case you're unable to work or you lose your job. It’s easy to lose track of these but, depending on your circumstances, you might be able to make a claim, so it’s worth looking in to.


Your bank or lender

Banks generally have measures in place to help support you if your income has dropped and you’re struggling to make repayments. If you have a mortgage and other priority bills then you may be able to take a payment holiday. You will not have to make repayments for a set period, but you will still be charged interest during the holiday period, which will be added to your balance. If your bank offers this facility, think carefully about whether it is right for you, and make sure you have a clear understanding of the terms and conditions associated with it before you enter into any agreement.

Some banks have also eased restrictions on some of their savings accounts so it's easier for you to get to your money if you need to. You might also be able to benefit from reduced interest rates on arranged overdrafts.

Helpful Organisations

Free advice on debt, benefits, housing, legal matters, employment and general consumer advice. 

Visit Citizens Advice

Free advice on debt, divorce/separation, setting up a new home, care & disability, pensions and money management.

Visit Money Helper

Free advice on bankruptcy, charging orders, employment, benefits, money management and mortgage/repossession support.

Visit Stepchange

Free and confidential advice on debt.

Visit National Debt Line

Government support for landlords and renters reflecting the current coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

Visit GOV.UK

Support for anyone suffering with mental health problems.

Visit MIND

Free debt advice and debt management plans.

Visit PayPlan