Residential Mortgages

All Residential Mortgages FAQ's

What is a second charge mortgage?

A second charge mortgage, also known as a ’secured loan’ or 'second mortgage' allows you to borrow money, whilst leaving your existing mortgage in place. A second charge mortgage requires you to provide your home as security. This means we take a legal charge over your property, in the same way a mortgage provider does. This will be removed once the loan is fully repaid.

How will Shawbrook treat me as a second charge mortgage customer?

Customers are at the heart of our business, and it is our priority to offer the best outcome possible for your circumstances. Our team and our brokers, have experience of all kinds of personal lending.

How does Shawbrook choose and vet their second charge mortgage brokers?

All our second charge mortgages are arranged through independent brokers.

What will the second charge mortgage broker do for me?

Your mortgage adviser will go through a fact finding process with you. This is to understand your financial needs now and in the future and they will also discuss your current income and expenditure, along with any changes that you may foresee. They will then research and evidence the market, after which they will make a recommendation as to which product would be best suited to your circumstances.

What are the minimum and maximum amounts that I can borrow with a second charge mortgage?

The minimum you can borrow is £5,000.

The maximum you can borrow is £500,000.

How long can I have to pay back the second charge mortgage?

The minimum loan term is three years.

The maximum loan term is 30 years.

What percentage of the property's value will you lend against?

We will consider lending up to 95% Loan-to-Value, depending on your requirements and your situation.

I am self-employed - can I get a second charge mortgage from you?

Yes, we do lend to self employed applicants providing they have been self employed for at least 12 months. We will require the following as proof of income:

  • If you have been trading for at least 12 months, but less than 2 years:

SA302 or tax computation dated within 21 months of the tax year end (being 31st of January) with the corresponding tax year overview and the latest month’s business bank statement

  • If you have been trading for 2 years or more:

Two years’ SA302s or tax computations dated within 21 months of the tax year end (being 31st of January) with the corresponding tax year overviews and the latest month’s business bank statement

Is the interest rate on my second charge mortgage a variable rate?

Shawbrook have a range of products available, from variable to 3 and 5 year fixed rates, along with a tracker product

Can I settle my second charge mortgage early?

You can settle your second charge mortgage at any time.

Please call our customer enquiry line on 0345 650 6287 to request a settlement figure.

Will each of my second charge mortgage payments go towards the capital as well as the interest?

Your second charge mortgage is a capital and interest loan, therefore each monthly payment covers the monthly interest on the loan and a proportion towards reducing the loan itself. This means that each monthly payment reduces the capital amount that you owe (your loan balance). So your loan balance reduces over the term of the loan, and is repaid at the end of the loan term.

This assumes that you don’t miss any payments during the term of your loan.

Can I make overpayments to my second charge mortgage?

Yes, you can overpay your loan with any amount, as often as you like and at any time during the term of your loan, free of charge. Your monthly payment will not change, but the term of your loan will reduce accordingly.

Who do I contact if I have questions about my second charge mortgage?

Our customer services team can help with any questions you may have. You can call them on 0345 650 6287 (8am to 8pm Monday to Thursday, 8am to 6pm Friday and 9am to 2pm Saturday, excluding Bank Holidays).

What if I can’t make a payment to my existing second charge mortgage?

We are a responsible lender, and we will always deal with you honestly and sympathetically. Please tell us immediately if you can't afford the payments on your loan. If you can tell us before you miss any payments, we are much more likely to be able to help you.

I am experiencing financial difficulty. Where can I get help and advice?

If you are experiencing financial difficulty please contact us on: 03456 506 288 

Our Financial Difficulty page has details of organisations who can provide free help and advice.

Can I extend my existing second charge mortgage?

We may be able to increase the amount of your loan (we call it further borrowing), please contact the internal sales team on 0345 600 7681.

What can I do to make sure that my second charge mortgage application is processed smoothly?

You should ensure that all the details on your application are accurate.

We rely on what you tell us in the loan application, and any details that turn out to be wrong will delay your application.

If your circumstances change after you’ve filled in your application, you must tell your broker immediately.

Questions you may have on remortgaging your property

What does a Deed of Postponement application involve?

  • You will need to pay an administration fee of £95
    The fee covers the administrative costs we incur when managing your application. This fee is confirmed in the Tariff of Charges document sent to you when you initially applied for your loan with us.
  • We will need full details of your new mortgage
    We will need a certified copy of your new mortgage offer letter, confirming the amount of the mortgage, the term and the monthly repayment amount. If your mortgage repayment will increase, we will need to see proof of your income to ensure that you will be able to meet your increased monthly outgoings.
  • If your mortgage provider will not provide you with a mortgage offer until they get agreement to the deed of postponement, we will accept a letter addressed to Shawbrook, directly from your mortgage lender

Can I take out another second charge mortgage with another lender?

If you want to take out another second charge mortgage against your home with another lender, you will need to redeem your existing loan with Shawbrook so that your new lender can take a second charge behind your mortgage lender.

Can I get a refund?

As the payment you have made is towards a financial commitment, we do not offer a refund. However should you need to discuss the payment, you can contact us on 0345 600 7681 9:00am – 5:30pm Monday to Friday. Alternatively you can email us at

Please note: We are unable to respond via email for security reasons.